What is a Research Study or Clinical Trial?
A clinical trial is medical research conducted on eligible volunteers to determine if a drug, procedure, test, or medical device is safe and effective. Clinical trials are supervised and conducted by doctors and other health professionals.
People of all ages, races and genders participate in clinical trials for many reasons such as:
- To gain access to a drug, treatment or therapy before it is available to the public.
- To try new treatments that may or may not be better than what already exists.
- To receive medical care at a health care facility during the study
- To contribute to medical research.
- To potentially help other people.